Thursday, July 23, 2009

OO Writer - upside down text in a table

I just found out how to do this and it's a little quirky, so I need to make a note of it for next time I need it and have forgotten.

You may ask why you would need upside down text. Well, I needed to print a CD jewel case, so I went to 'more templates online' and grabbed one of the 2 jewel case templates that came up (thank you for making this so easy OO), but frankly, the implementation was stupidly ineffecient.

I wanted to recreate it using tables & fields so that I could enter the title once and have it appear in the 3 required places for a jewel case. And yes, on the sheet that goes in the back of the jewel case, the text needs to have its baselines facing each other. I have no idea whether you can do this in Word or not.

Firstly - this must be done in a table, it uses some of the table formatting controls to achieve the affect.

EXPERTS: the below instructions put succinctly, as I found them in the OO forum:
"Format Character, rotate 270° + Table, Text Flow, Right to left vertical."
  1. Select the text that you need to display upside now (in my case it also happens to be field/variable)
  2. Right click and select Character (or go to Format | Character)
  3. Change the rotation to 270 degrees. (Bear in mind that this is going to stuff up the height of your row - so if you're needing fixed cell heights like I did for the jewel case, once you've finished this exercise you're going to have to go back and correct the cell height).
  4. Now select the Row in the table that contains this text
  5. Right click and select 'Table...'
  6. Go to the Text Flow tab
  7. Change the Text Direction to Right to Left (Vertical)
  8. I'd also suggest changing the vertical alignment to center. Depends on what you're trying to achieve though.
  9. Click ok, and then, as mentioned in point 3, go back and fix up your row height if required. Lovely upside down text. QED.
And yes, I do need to submit my fancy-schmancy field enabled efficient jewel case template back up to OO. I assume that's something I can do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tips on selecting a safe, comfort and decorative counter height tables for your kitchen at spacify.com

Vangelis said...

Thank you.

Joe said...

Amazing! Taken me 2 hours to try and work this out. Thought it was going to be so easy. Thanks!