Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Philosophy: At least 6 solutions

I have this philosophy that there are at least 6 solutions to every problem.

This isn't an original philosophy. I heard it first from a musician at a music conference about 15 years ago, and I suspect he wasn't the one who coined it either, but it's a damn good philosophy and has served me well ever since.

There are at least 6 solutions to every problem - you only have to find one - and that can't be too hard!
You could call it tenacity, perserverence, optimism, or a mixture of all 3.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you find more than one solution you have a new problem.

Jane Gianoutsos said...

Not at all! You just have options. :-)

Unknown said...

I think this is a perspective thing, I like options, customers do not.

Option = Problem

Options mean that someone has to make a decision. Most people in (allegedly) decision making roles do not like this because it means negative consequences can be linked to them. Glory is easily stolen when you are telling the story, but its hard to shift blame if you made the call.
In non-crisis situations the problem is compounded because everyone has time to think.

I have found that most people feel better if they are simply told what is best for them rather than let them choose. Most people are very comfortable with this approach as long as they like who is doing the telling.